Melissa Ballard MSN, RN, FNP-BC
ANCC Board Certified
- May 2010 Western Carolina University
Master of Science in Nursing
- August 2007 Western Carolina University
Bachelor of Science, Nursing
Summa Cum Laude
- May 1993 A.B. Technical Community College
Associate of Science in Nursing
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
- Over 23 years nursing experience with a background in nephrology, family practice and hospital women's health/ mother baby.
- Formerly worked as a staff preceptor competency validator in the hospital setting.
- Served on various hospital and practice committees including: Shared governance, Recruitmentï¿½ retention council co-chair, quality improvement initiatives and the Integrated computer information system task force, Cerner System.
- Electronic medical record systems experience: Cerner, All Scripts, Falcon and eClinical.
- Volunteer work via YMCA, Mission Hospitals and Brevard Lions Club.
- Met with UK Governing Assembly leaders in Midwifery, Lactation, Research and Education, Cardiff, Wales, 2007.
- Formerly worked as Prenatal Nurse Educator.
- Function as a self motivated professional with a commitment to providing quality nursing care and professional growth.
- "Mission's Magnet Journey" at Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, London, England and University of Glamorgan Cardiff, Wales.
- "End Stage Renal Disease" at Blue Ridge Technical College and West Henderson High School.
- "Chronic Kidney Disease", Brevard Lions Club.
- Family Nurse Practitioner - North Carolina State Board of Medicine and Nursing
- Registered Nurse - North Carolina Board of Nursing
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support - American Heart Association
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), certified for over ten years - American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association
- Mission Hospital
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nephrology Nurse Association
- Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
- Association of Women's Heath Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Mountain Kidney and Hypertension Associates, Asheville NC
Family Nurse Practitioner
LaMond Family Medicine, Hendersonville, NC
Family Nurse Practitioner
Mission Hospitals, Asheville, NC
Registered Nurse, Mother Baby Unit
Duties: Function as a nurse practitioner caring for chronic kidney disease and renal transplant patients in an office setting. Also follow end stage renal disease patients undergoing dialysis in the in-center hemodialysis setting as well as those on home dialysis modalities, including peritoneal dialysis and home hemodialysis patients
Duties: Functioned as nurse practitioner providing general medical care for all ages in a practice with two other physicians.
Responsible for all aspects of care of the hospitalized postpartum mother and newborn. Time management, patient assessment and education were important aspects of the position. Unit was referral center for Western North Carolina.
Parkway Family Physicians, Asheville, NC
Duties: Worked with each physician to prep patients, assist with procedures, perform EKGs, phone triage.
Hendersonville Dialysis Center
Duties: Responsible for all aspects of managing a 10 bed dialysis unit including financial, equipment, patient care, employment, risk management issues and quality assurance. Averaged 15-20 employees during my time there.
Asheville Kidney Center
(initially owned by Mountain Kidney Associates, later owned by Total Renal Care)
Registered Nurse (1993-1994) - Duties: Performed assessments and hemodialysis treatments, drew & interpreted labs, diabetic care, education, staff preceptor for 28 station unit.
Dialysis Technician (1991-1993) - Duties: Performed hemodialysis treatments and monitored patients throughout, staff preceptor.
Honors and Awards:
2007 North Carolina Institute of Nursing Excellence Honoree
2007 Inducted into Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
HRSA Traineeship Grant received 2008,2009,2010
Mission Hospital Based Honors:
Mentioned by name in numerous positive patient comment cards, validated by company president.
Selected to serve as Validator of Core Nursing Competency, Preceptor on Mother Baby Unit.
Supervisor Interview Committee, 2006.
Ten Year Hospital Service Award, 2010
Hospital PEAR Program - Achieved level 3 in 2006, and highest level 4 in 2007, 2008, 2009
"Health Literacy levels among Post Partum Women at a Large Metropolitan Hospital in Western North Carolina", 2010.
Professional and Scholarly Associations:
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 2007-present
Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society 2007-present
Association of Women's Health Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses
American Association of Nephrology Nurses (ANNA) 1993-2000
National Association of Physician Nurses 1994- 1995
MOMB Shared Decision Making Committee, Advisor 2009-present
Shared Governance Hospital Council, 2007-2009
Recruitment, Retention, Recognition Hospital Council, Co-Chair 2008-2009
Mother Baby Action Committee, 2007 - 2008
Integrated Computer Information System Task Force: Cerner April 2006-2007
Women's Services Empowerment Committee 2006-2008
Hendersonville Dialysis / Asheville Kidney Center
Policy & Procedure Committee 1994-1999
Inter-facility Quality Indicator Committee 1994-1999