Matthew J. Volk, MD
- 2010-2012 / University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Fellowship, Nephrology
- 2007-2010 / University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Residency, Internal Medicine
- 2003-2007 / Baylor College of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine
- 1999-2003 / Northwestern University, Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering
- 2012-Present / Clinical Nephrologist, Mountain Kidney and Hypertension Associates, PA
- 2010-2012 / Fellow in Nephrology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- 2007-2010 / Medical Residency, Internal Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Medical License / North Carolina Physician License - 201000978
- Certification / North Carolina Medical Board - 141148
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 2010
- American Board of Nephrology, 2012
- IT Committee Chair, Mountain Kidney and Hypertension, 2014-Present
- Medical Director, Mission Hospital Inpatient Dialysis Unit, 2016-Present
- Medical Director, Smoky Mountain Dialysis Center, 2012-2015
- Mission-St. Joseph's Health System
- Care Partners Rehabilitation Hospital
- McDowell Hospital
- Highlands – Cashiers Regional Hospital
- Angel Medical Center
- Blue Ridge Regional Hospital
Professional Associations / Committees
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Nephrology
- Renal Physicians Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Western Carolina Medical Society
Honors and Awards
Baylor College of Medicine
- Presidential Scholarship
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Northwestern University Undergraduate Research Grant
American Institute of Chemical Engineering
- Harry McCormack Award for Outstanding Scholarship, Extra-curricular Activities and Character
- Donald Othermer Sophomore Academic Excellence Award
- Segura T, Volk MJ, Shea LD. Cationic Polymers as a Means of Substratemediated, DNA Delivery. J Control Release. 2003 Nov 18;93(1):69-8a.
- Volk MJ, Chaiet SR, Rajagopalan L, BrownellWE, Pereira FR. The Onset and Maturation of Prestin-associated Charge Movement. Poster: Association of Research in Otolaryngology Midwinter Conference 2007.
- Volk MJ, Bomback AS, Klemmer PJ. Reduction of Pulse Pressure via Changes in Extracellular Volume in Hemodialysis Patients. Poster: University of North Carolina Research Day, 2009, Abstract: American Society of Nephrology Renal Week 2009.
- Volk MJ, Bomback AS, Klemmer PJ. Mineralocorticoid Receptor Blockade in Chronic Kidney Disease, Curr Hypertens Rep. 2011 Aug;13@).282-8.
- Volk MJ. Hyponatremia: Don't Forget the Gut. Case Report Abstract: Submitted to the American Society of Nephrology RenalWeek 2012.